Every time I visit a school I’ve built with Pencils of Promise (or go to an event that is focused on serving others), I feel amazing.
That’s part of the reason I am such a believer that serving others is one of the keys to greatness.
But I remember a time when I didn’t believe that.
I thought if I was winning, it meant other people were losing. And that’s just how it was.
The more guests I talk to on the The School of Greatness, however, the more I realize that there is no way to make a huge difference in the world without focusing on serving others.
And today’s guest is a shining example of this.
Jacob Lief is an extraordinary leader who decided while in college that he was going to make a huge difference for a town in South Africa.
He has spent the last 15 years doing just that, through his non-profit organization Ubuntu Fund.
Not only has he raised millions of dollars in funds, built schools and invested heavily in the future of the youth of that area, but he has been recognized by the Clinton Global Initiative, among many others, for his incredible service.
In our conversation, I was so inspired by Jacob’s vision, his work ethic, and his candor in discussing not only the successes he’s experienced but his failures as well.
More than anything, I was reminded that we ALL have the capability and responsibility to live lives of outward focus and service, even if it’s just in our immediate circles.
I am honored and grateful to introduce you to Jacob Lief in Episode 199.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- What opened up for you the first time you traveled to South Africa?
- What does “ubuntu” mean?
- What is your biggest challenge after 15 years of being in this work?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How he has raised over $40 million in 15 years for his non-profit
- Why it takes a huge amount of resources to take a child out of poverty
- Jacob’s philosophy that it’s better to reach less kids with a bigger impact than more kids with minimal impact
- The importance of talking about failure as well as success in the non-profit world
- Jacob’s tips for starting to live a life of service
- Find something you really care about
- Get to know the leadership of the organization
- How he found the guts to say no to the wrong funding sources
- The business savvy needed to run a successful non-profit
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- I Am Because You Are: How the Spirit of Ubuntu Inspired an Unlikely Friendship and Transformed a Community
- Pencils of Promise
- charity: water
- What a Wonderful World
- Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
- The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
- FOLLOW JACOB
TEXT “GREATNESS” TO 33444 TO GET ADDED TO THE EARLY BIRD BOOK PREVIEW LIST! (OR VISIT HTTP://GREATNESSBOOK.COM)
- Music Credit: Friends by Slinz
You may also like these episodes:
- How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change with Adam Braun
- From Nightclub Promoter to Well Digger and the Power of Serving Others
- Visual Poetry: How to Be an Entrepreneurial Artist with Nick Onken
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Wow, I am so inspired by Jacob and what he and his team are creating. Every time I focus outward in service, I receive so much back. How are you focusing on serving others?
The post The Power You Have to Make a Huge Difference with Jacob Lief appeared first on Lewis Howes.