I love a good workout.
I like to stay fit and push my body daily.
I think there’s big benefits to being in pain every day (a little at least) because struggle equals growth.
So when I got the chance to meet up with Laird Hamilton, the legendary surfer, athlete, and stunt man, I was really excited about the idea of working out with him.
I showed up at his house in Malibu ready for a crazy pool workout.
Instead I ended up lying on my back on the pool deck doing a breathing workout.
Which turned out to be one of the most challenging workouts of my life.
I thought I was going to pass out within the first minute.
As it turned out, it was an incredible experience and that was before Laird and I even sat down to record a conversation for The School of Greatness.
But it definitely got me thinking about breathing in a whole new way.
I asked Laird all about how he has learned to breathe for all of the water sports he does (it’s a long list) and found out that it’s only been in the last couple of years that he has really buckled down on learning these powerful breathing techniques.
We talked about how tapping into the power of breath affects athletic performance, relationships, business, mindset, and much more.
Laird told me some crazy stories about his adventures in the water, why his family means so much to him, and his biggest challenges growing up that shaped him into who he is.
This interview was a gift from start to finish and I’m so excited to share the wisdom and power of Laird Hamilton with you on Episode 212.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- Why is breathing so important in our lives?
- What has opened up for your in your business, relationships, health, etc. since focusing so much on your breathing?
- What’s the purpose of oxygenating your body?
- What got you into big wave surfing in the first place?
- What was the big goal for you growing up?
- How do you prepare to get in the zone?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How breathing is connected to the success of any endurance athlete
- The super intense breathing workout Laird put me through the minute I got to his house (I thought I was going to pass out)
- The power of breath to help you hyper-focus
- How growing up very poor and a minority in Hawaii affected his goals, vision, and self-perception
- Why he is proud of quitting drinking 9 years ago
- The story of Laird getting lost at sea for a whole day
- Why Laird still rides the huge waves even though he has a family and more at stake to lose
- Laird’s keys to having great relationships
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Wim Hof
- Natural Born Heroes: How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance
- Laird Stand Up
- Total Wave Fitness
- Laird Superfood
- FOLLOW LAIRD
- Check out Onnit and their optimal performance products. Use the code “greatness” to get 10% off your next order:
TEXT “GREATNESS” TO 33444 TO GET ADDED TO THE EARLY BIRD BOOK PREVIEW LIST! (OR VISIT HTTP://GREATNESSBOOK.COM)
- Music Credit: Sail (Remiz) by Sonzie
You may also like these episodes:
- How to Run a Business While Being an Olympic Athlete with Nick Symmonds
- Rich Roll: From Fast Food King to Vegan Ultra-Athlete
- How to Think, Train, and Thrive Like a Champion
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Laird is a boss. His breathing workout was amazing, as were his incredible stories. I loved how he talked about getting into flow. How do you get in the zone?
The post The Power of Breathing to Get In the Zone with Laird Hamilton appeared first on Lewis Howes.